Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

TINAGO FALLS (ILIGAN CITY, LANAO DEL NORTE)


(left to right: my sister, my mom, me, my mom's office mates)

          Tinago falls is one of the most famous falls in Iligan City (dubbed as "The City of Majestic Waterfalls"). Legend says that Tinago falls is once a daughter of a proud sultan and his wife. Because of their selfishness, an enchantress turned their new born to an ugly baby. The child grew up inside a cave hidden by her parents but the enchantress offered her to transform into something of great beauty and splendour. She accepted it and became the Tinago falls. (I really don't know of I would thank her parents or not...hehehe :)

          It is located in barangay Ditucalan, Iligan City. To get there, take a jeepney from the city proper to Buru-an Market and hire a habal-habal to take you to Tinago falls. The road is okay but it's muddy and a little bit jarring most of the time.


          For people who love trekking, you can revel in trudging the 434 steps (500+ including extra tread). Be careful on the way because the uneven stairs makes the journey bumpy and uncomfortable. Also be mindful of the administration's important reminder:
          "If you are hypertensive, have heart problems or not feeling well, you are advice not to trek down, or you can do it slowly and take rest in between."


main falls
crystal clear water


          Ta-dah! See how truly majestic the cascade is? It would really take your breath away! And notice how the water glistened like sparkling diamonds? Mesmerizing! My sister and I traipsed the trail 'four times' because when we first arrived at the falls we suddenly decided to go swimming so we have to go back to the car, get our clothes and descend...again! That was VERY tiring, but once at the sight of the falls our fatigue wore out :)







        Here we are, swimming to our hearts content, enjoying the cool and clear water. The cataract descends at a height of 240m and water as deep as 68ft (that's what I remembered the guide told us).

         They have a package of entrance fee, life vest, and unlimited ride to the 'gaket' (made of bamboo which is used to reach the waterfalls) for only 35php. The tables are from 50 php up.




slide show


          Would it be wrong to say that you would miss half of your life if you won't go there? Well you can't blame me for telling you so :). You see I'm a Biology student, and I really love nature. In the ravine you'll be amazed not only with the falls but also with the different wildlife you'll notice along the way. There are multicolored butterflies and dragonflies with green, red, blue, black, violet, and even pink color! Imagine?! A pink dragonfly! That's why I'm so thankful that God has given me the opportunity to witness one of His marvelous creations.

          If you plan on having a trip to Tinago falls, I strongly recommend that you should go ASAP because the butterflies and dragonflies are depleting, and I'm afraid that you won't see it anymore. My mother said that when she last went there with my dad there were countless number of those of insects but now there's hardly any. We went there just  this year, last May. Enjoy and bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment